Monday, April 30, 2012

Our Infallibility


Are your thoughts about God and His Word infallible? 
      "Of course I'm not infallible."
Can you have a wrong understanding or interpretation of God and His Word?
   
      "Of course I can have a wrong understanding of God and His Word." 
If you recognize that you are able to have a wrong understanding of God and His Word, then where are you wrong?
       "Obviously, I don't know.... yet. But I trust God will show me through His Holy Spirit." 
So you believe that through the Holy Spirit your understanding of God and His Word will become infallible? 
   
       "Yes."
How will you be aware that your understanding of God and His Word is infallible? 
      "I won't ever think I am infallible in this life, because my understanding will never be perfect until I am in heaven."
Your understanding of God and His Word will never be perfect and infallible on this earth? 
       "My guess is no."
Then, I repeat my question, which beliefs and interpretations of God and His Holy Word are you in error on?
       "There is no way of knowing."
You admit that there is no way of knowing which one of your beliefs of God and His Word are correct, and you admit that since you are not infallible that your understanding is not perfect, you most likely have something you believe that is in error. So, is it important to know where you are in error? 

       "I suppose."

So where do you go to find out where your beliefs are wrong?
         
        "To prayer and to the Holy Word of God."
How do you know if your understanding of God and His Holy Word is becoming less incorrect? 
           "I guess by my fruits."
How will these fruits identify where you are in error?
            "I don't know specifically, but this line of questioning makes me suspect you are saying that I can't trust the Holy Spirit to lead me into all truth." 
No, you are misunderstanding my questions. I am simply asking you, since you admit you are and will remain until Christ changes you into perfection, fallible and can theoretically misunderstand God and misinterpret His Holy Word, then how do you know where you are wrong? 
           "I guess I just don't." 
Do you think it is important to know where you are wrong about God and His Holy Word.
           "I suppose it is where I am wrong. If I am wrong in a little thing, then it isn't important."
How do you know you are wrong in a little thing if you cannot identify where you are wrong?
           "I guess God will just have to show me where I am wrong."
How does God show us where we are wrong? 
           "Like I said before, He shows me through the Holy Spirit and His Word and through prayer. You are making this way too complicated." 
So then you could identify where you are wrong, correct? If the Holy Spirit shows us where we are wrong, could you then please identify where you are wrong?
           "I don't know. Maybe He hasn't told me yet." 
If you know you are wrong somewhere and the Holy Spirit hasn't yet shown you where you are wrong, how can you trust what you believe? 

No comments: